The Fn key + F1~F12 key combination provide addition functions for users, such as: increasing or decreasing the brightness of the display, the sound volume, sleep, wireless, lock keyboard, etc.
However, sometimes you may find system only require hitting the single F1~F12 key without Fn key. That would cause we could not use the default function of F1 through F12 key.
1. Instructions to Lock function key(Fn key)You need to change the setting in the bios to make the function key locked. Take the HP and Compaq notebook for example:
- Turn on the computer
- Press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup window
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option
- Enter the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
- Select Disabled, press f10 key to save the selection and reboot
To unlock function key, just set the Action Keys Mode option to Enabled in the bios.
2. Press letter and it show number?
If you hit the letter key on the keyboard, but the system show number, that 's because fn key locked, try the solutions bellow to unlock function key.
- Hit FN, F12 and Number Lock key at the same time
- Hold down Fn key and tap F11
You may be interested with related articles:
How to configure keyboard shortcut to turn off monitor in Windows